söndag 29 mars 2009

Ubuntu Jaunty UNR on Acer Aspire One


Today I did it.
I finally threw out Linpus from my Acer Aspire One 110L and installed Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) Beta using the "Ubuntu Netbook Remix" image.
I have been tired of the Linpus version installed for a long time but since there have been a lot of diskussions about not so good support for Ubuntu on the AA1 earlier I have hesitaded.
Ok Linpus has it's virtues like crazy fast boot time and crazy simple user interface but that's about it.

I downloaded the image that I found following links from www.ubuntu.com then I put it on a USB stick using the USB Image writing guide. I used the dd method described there since I did the process on a server without GUI.
Then I briefly read through the information I found in the Ubuntu Community Documentation about the Aspire One 110L.
I made some misstakes like using ext3 instead of ext2 during the installation and had to go back change back after installation (I have a SSD and not a regular harddrive so it matters)

Since I knew there could be issues with wireless network I did the installation and all updates using a wired connection.
There are still issues with wireless but not that bad.
At first I did the misstake to use the proprietary madwifi driver for the wireless but that didn't work. I had read that blacklisting the acer_wmi module could help so I tried that but still no luck so I disabled the proprietary driver and rebooted. Now I have perfect connection with WPA2 using the free driver but still with blacklisting of the acer_wmi module. I doesn't work with it enabled.

Webcam is detected as it shoud. Sound works, haven't tried the microphone.
I haven't done any proper benchmarks but the system feels snappier at least.


Inga kommentarer: